Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mentoring

There is nothing like being a mentor to another person to make you realize your own inadequacies and run to the word of God. When we asked Michelle to move in with us several months ago, I knew it was from God, and I knew we would all be blessed by the experience, but I had no idea of the weight of the responsibility. I guess I have always been the "mentee" in my "mentor" relationships in the past. I was always the one learning, not the one teaching. I used to take Kung Fu martial arts and one of my teachers would say, "to do is to learn, to teach is to keep." That is so true. Now that I am a mom and a "mentor," I feel a greater responsibility to be in the word, to be in constant communication with God.

I guess the biggest thing is that I now rely much more on God's wisdom and His strength than on my own. The secret wisdom of getting older is that we don't actually know anything, so we have to rely on God for everything. When I was 23, I was sure I knew everything and had the world all figured out. I wasn't quite sure why all the older folks didn't just do things my way! Honestly, I still think that sometimes, but the older I get, the more I realize that I do not know the road ahead and I certainly wasn't around when God made the oceans or flung the stars from His hand. So who am I to think that I know anything!

I am so glad that I am able to be a mentor. I am learning so much more about myself, my capacity to love, to grow, to learn and to teach. It humbles me to want to continue to grow in my relationship with God and it makes me excited about the relationship I will hopefully have with my daughters when they are older. I am also become more dependant on God's word, than anyone else's. When I was a "mentee," I relied on the word of my mentor, sometimes even above God and now I feel that I wait until I am sure of God's direction before I move forward.

WOW. I guess I am growing up!

Lord, thank you for the responsibility of being a mentor. Keep me under Your wing, and keep your words in my mouth. May my life continue to walk closer to You and reflect Your Glory.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Kelly - I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog posts. Thanks for be obedient and sharing your blog with all of us. God is truly using your gift of writing to speak to many of us!

I wanted to let you know I am in the same boat as you with being a mentor now. I have a college student who is assisting me some during the week and traveling with us some this summer. She has been a huge help to me with the boys and I am blessed to have her. However I understand what you mean when you said you feel a greater responsibility to be in the Word so that you can communicate effectively to the "mentee." I thought I would share that with you and know I am praying for you as you are playing an important role in Michelle's life.

Thanks again for sharing. Korey and Krissy are two very blessed little girls to have you as their mom!

Love ya,

Jamie

Kelly Nagel said...

Thank you, Jamie!