Monday, July 16, 2007

vacation

We just got back from a week at the beach. It was wonderful! We were able to sit and watch the sun set over the Gulf of Mexico every night. Most nights, my mom and I "sang the sun to sleep" as we have done most of my life. We usually sing Amazing Grace, but we threw in a few others this time as well. I love singing with my mom.

Vacations are funny. They are either totally relaxing or utterly chaotic. This was a little of both. Most of the time, it was relaxing. The girls, my mom and I went to the beach and played in the sand while Rich and my dad fished in the morning (Krissy, my one year old, hated the sand and would not allow her feet or royal tushy to touch it). We would go in for lunch, the girls would nap, while mom and I would talk or read or go shopping. Rich hated the humidity and heat. He also got a new nick name, "skeeter," because the mosquitoes did LOVE him and he was very dramatic in conveying his dislike for them.

The whole experience reminded me once again of Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things."

I could so easily describe this very vacation in terms that would make one believe that it was an awful time: we drove 10 hours with 2 kids under 3 years old, the heat and humidity was almost unbearable. Even though they fished everyday, the boys only caught enough fish for us to eat one meal. Korey threw several tantrums, including many in public and restaurants. The beds were hard and lumpy and I had to do more laundry on vacation than I ever do at home because of the sand and sweat in everything. To top it off, Rich and I got into one of the worst arguments that we have had in our marriage.

OR I could say: We had a beautiful condo right on the sand and we were able to watch the sunset every night from a wonderful screened in porch, safe from the bugs. We ate lovely meals every night including one night of fish that was caught by my wonderful husband and my Daddy! Rich caught a Pompano, which none of the other fishermen around him had ever caught. Korey loved the ocean and couldn't get enough of the warm, pale blue, clear water. Krissy loved sitting on the beach blanket and playing with her toys. My mom and I got to spend some wonderful quality time together looking for shells on the beach or shopping in the local shops. Because we were on an island with very little do to, we didn't feel guilty about sitting around and just looking at the ocean or playing cards together at night. And to top it off, Rich and I were able to grow closer to each other, and learn how to communicate better to each other so that we will be much better helpmates than we could have ever imagined possible.

The truth is, both are true, in fact, but only the second is true in experience. God doesn't want us to focus on the negative. Doing so only makes us negative people that are no fun to be around and that God can't use to spread His love and Grace. Instead, He wants us to be people that find joy in trials because we know it means a deeper and greater relationship with Him and with the people around us.

What a loving God that we serve! He can create the ocean, the earth, the very air we breathe and yet, he loves me enough to teach me a new lesson while I enjoy the paradise He has created for me.

No comments: