Thursday, July 19, 2007

Rainbow

I was just reading Genesis 8-9. What a beautiful way for God to give Noah, and the animals, a covenant by giving the symbol of the rainbow. I think it's interesting that he says the covenant is with the animals also. I wonder if when animals see a rainbow, if they somehow know about the promise? I wonder if it gives them some sort of peace in knowing that this rain will most likely not kill them. I wonder if is causes them to praise God. I do believe that animals praise God. I believe they have an unquestioning knowing of the God and of who he is. I don't think God put in them the ability to doubt or question God's existence or His authority over their lives. I also think that that is one of the things that sets us apart form animals, and makes us more important in the pecking order.

I know that some people question why God allows us, humans, free will. Why were we given the ability to choose. Why did He put that stupid apple tree int he Garden on Edan in the first place? Why not just take away the ability to sin, and therefore we would celebrate and live in full fellowship with Him always. I think it comes down to something very simple (which is why it can be hard to grasp for some people.) I think it comes down to choice. It is a very different thing to choose to love someone than it is to have to love someone. Take your relatives, for instance. There are people in your family that you love quite frankly, because you have to. They are blood relatives and it is the only reason you associate with them at all. You have nothing in common, you think they are weird, crazy, too neat, too messy, too permissive, etc. you get the point. But then, there are people that you love because you have chosen to love them, through thick and thin. You love them even though they are weird, crazy, too messy, too neat, too permissive, etc. You just love them. That is the kind of love that Christ wants from us. He wants the kind we chose. This way, we will want to be in a relationship with Him. We will trust Him, confide in Him and take His advise as if it is coming from a loving friend, and not some relative that you have to listen to just because you are related.

Although I do sometimes envy that animals never doubt God, I would not want to simply be one of God's servant creatures. I am amazed every time I think about the fact the Jesus called me His friend. Given the choice, and thank God He does, I choose friendship over servant hood any day. Friendship makes me want to serve Him, not have to serve Him. Friendship makes me want to take His advise, not feel like I have to. Friendship makes me love Him more deeply, not just fear and respect Him.

Thank you, God, for calling me your friend. Help me to be a better friend to you and those around me.

No comments: