Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Christianity should not be safe

There is a local Christian radio station who's tag line is "safe for the whole family." I totally understand what they mean and I love the station, but when I hear that, I automatically think, "my brother wouldn't think so." My brother is not a Christian and so all things Christian or even things about God get him fired up. When my nephew was young, my brother would not let my mom take him to bible study with her because my nephew would then come home and start asking his dad questions that my brother was not ready to answer.

This got me to thinking. Christianity is not safe and quite frankly, it shouldn't be! Jesus was crucified on a cross! Peter was crucified upside down for being a Christian. Stephen was stoned to death, Paul spent most of his life in jails. Ask the Christian in China how safe it is. Jesus himself said that they persecuted me, they will persecute you.

So why is it that we tell people to come to Jesus and your life will be great! That is a lie! What we should be saying is come to Jesus, life will be harder, you will experience pain, hardship, persecution and probably die because of it, but it's so worth it! Because your life will have purpose, meaning and your soul will be filled. You will realize that this life is just a game and the real deal is coming after death.

I feel sorry for people who wear Jesus like a suit. They just put Him on when they need to look good or get out of a particular situation and then put Him back in the closet when they want to do things their own way. I know, I used to be that person. What an empty, sad life! How alone they feel. I pray that every person who lives this way will have something major rock their world so they can come face to face with the true power of Christ and they can learn to live authentically through Him.

I pray that we as Christians will stop lying to people to try and get them "on the side of God" and start telling them the truth so they too can have a real relationship with the one true living God. It is a dangerous life to live, but I for one like danger! Especially when I know we already won.

No comments: