Friday, May 21, 2010

Bake him a cake!

I strive to be a good wife to my husband and a good mother to my children. I have found that for most women, those are our two top goals! So I have decided to start writing the things I have learn about marriage and family in my blog. I hope this can be a blessing to you!

Two of my friends, Naomi and Tina, went to the pool together and were talking. Tina said she had to go home to bake a cake, Naomi asked what was the special occasion. Tina said, "There is no occasion, but my husband has been out of town and comes home today, so I want him to come home to the house smelling good so I am going to bake a cake."

When Naomi was telling me the story, she said she felt bad because she had never baked a cake for her husband when he came home from being out of town. But I told her that I beg to differ! She has "baked a cake" for him plenty of times! When he is out of town, she weeds his garden, keeps his tomato plants in their cages and ensures he comes home to a clean house. For Naomi's husband, that is what speaks love to him. For my hubby, when he comes home to a house that smells like bleach, that speaks love to him. I have another friend who's husband smiles from ear to ear when he comes home to a house that smells like dinner and the kids are playing together because they have all finished their homework.

I think the lesson is, it's not about trying to become someone else and mimicking their actions, but about seeing someones biblical character traits and reflecting that.

So I ask you, how do you bake your husband a cake?

(Thanks for being an inspiration, Tina!)

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Will's love language is "acts of service" so every day around 4 or 4:30 I start the cleaning process so that he comes home to a neat and tidy home. It is so much work for me, but I know that is what makes him happy. He also likes it when my car is clean, but that is just taking it too far! HA! :)

Great post!